Map Reference : NJ747288
Age : Circa.1500BC
Nearest Landmark : Daviot Vilage
Situated in 'Loanhead of Daviot' about 300 meters North West of the
Village of Daviot. Easy off road parking. The circle is some 100 meters from the car park
through a small wood
Other Details :
The cremation cemetary that was excavated in the 1930's was probably in use after the stone circle
( about 1500BC ). It was bounded by a small ditch ( now marked by small stones ). It is simmilar to
cremation cemetaries in southern Scotland.
In the central pit were the partially cremated remains of a man, clutching a stone pendant. The cremated
remains of a further thirty-one people were also discovered, eight of them children between 3 and 6 years old.
Eleven of the remains were deposited in pottery urns. Other deposits of ash from cremations, and an area where the cremations had taken place, were also noted: A further burial was found on the North side of the
enclosure; it contained a small pot. later, after the creation of the cemetery, about 500BC, the area was used
for metal working
Sketch of cemetery